Sunday, March 6, 2011

Coconut Cream Pie (Vegan)


Serves: 

Prep: 20 Min 

I have always LOVED coconut cream pie. But since I have become a vegan (about 30 years ago) I have not found a good vegan coconut cream pie. This recipe comes pretty close though. I tweaked this recipe to make it very YUMMY! I will leave the original recipe but add my tweaking's. 

Ingredients     

    *  1/3 of a six ounce silken tofu 

    * 1 carton (half pint) of Silk French Vanilla Cream  Whiz in the blender with tofu 

    * 1/3 1/3 cup Agave Nectar

    * 6 tablespoons cornstarch

    * 14 ounces light coconut milk

    * 1 teaspoon vanilla 
    * 1/8 teaspoon coconut extract 
    * 1/2 cup lightly toasted shredded coconut (watch closely while toasting)
    * 1/8 tsp salt 
      
Directions
  1. Blend tofu/French Vanilla Cream until smooth, set aside. 
  2. In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together Agave Nectar and cornstarch, slowing adding the coconut milk.
  3. Continue to stir over medium heat until thick.
  4. Once the mixture has thickened, fold in the tofu/Silk French Vanilla Cream mixture, vanilla, coconut extract and shredded coconut.
  5. Pour mixture into pie crust and garnish with extra shredded coconut.
  6. Chill before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Heidi, the little bit of this I got to taste at lunch on Sabbath was fantastic! I can't wait to make this - I've missed coconut cream pie so much. I'm going to try it with the French vanilla coconut creamer instead of the soy and see how it tastes. Thanks for sharing this - I'm sure it's going to be a favorite at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth, Thank you for the compliment. I will try the French Vanilla Coconut Creamer also. I didn't know they made it. Where do you get it; Whole foods?

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete